The number

This forum is dedicated to sharing tips, tricks and best practices for everything FbPro98
Dean-Atlanta

The number

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:13 pm

I just read Rich's email reminding us we need to cut down to 63 after the draft. Many seasons ago during an off-season when I was Washington (before The Deal version 1 with Jerry) I had traded for too many picks ands signed too many FAs and had t cut down to 63.

Every off-season I operate by "The Number" which is the number of players, 53+PS that I plan to carry and it is why in some instances I may have told one you I would not do a trade for a player for a draft pick next year or 2 players or picks for one, because the trade would put me over the number. For many including newer GMs, I advise you to have that number and stick with it, so you do not have to cut so many players unnecessarily.
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Mitch-Oilers

Re: The number

Postby Mitch-Oilers » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:55 pm

I agree that GMs need to have a roster number in mind.

However, I believe GMs need to take it down a step further and have a roster number for each position.

The position roster number should be based on 3 things:

- What style of play are you basing your PPPs on?
- How many players you want active/open at a position to support your style?
- How many players at a position you want inactive to support your style and potential injuries?
AFC West Champion 2038, 2039, 2041, 2043
AFC Champion 2043

Matt-Jacksonville

Postby Matt-Jacksonville » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:01 pm

I agree with Mitch and am adjusting my roster to meet this this year as I'm changing it up a bit based on new information I go in a few discussions this season.

Dean-Atlanta

Postby Dean-Atlanta » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:39 am

An update on this idea as it applies to my current roster.

Having reviewed it, I go into the 2044 carrying 63 players and knowing I need to get to 53 by the end of the season. That means 10 of the 53 will not be on my roster the next time Rich hits The Button.

I have 1 retiring player and three veterans I will likely offer for trade. When those 3 get posted on a trade block on the forum, it is NOT a fire sale. They are good players that do not fit my long term plan, and only ONE is a current starter and his replacement is on the roster.

A few of the others are decent players currently on PS or I slots. A few are injury insurance that will stay on PS and get cut at the end of the season.

The plan for making trades is to get down to the 53 number and be in a stronger position roster-wise going into the 2045 off-season.

If anyone makes the "fire sale" comment when I post these moves, it will be totally ignorant.

If anyone thought trading HBs Barry J. Sanders and Benny Snell Jr. was a fire sale, moving Clyde Edwards-Helaire to HB1, signing Miles Sanders and drafting Israel Abanikanda and Jaleel McLaughlin strengthened my HBs long term.
Dean
The Atlanta Falcons

"We may win big or lose big, but we don't dodge anybody and we don't makes excuses when we lose."
- Jerry Glanville

Return to “Coach's Corner”